Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Proud Mommy Moments


Each day brings new opportunities for triumphs and tribulations. As a mom, there are many moments in the day when I think "Wow, I can't believe I just did that ... that was really good!" AND there are the many (more) moments that I think "Oh, I can't believe I just did that ... that was really bad!" I thought I'd share two of my favorite moments from today (I'll spare you the not so good ones ... wouldn't want to bore you! :o).

This afternoon I was weeding the flowerbeds (I really think I could weed 3x a day and I'd still find weeds every time I walked out!) when I saw a furry black spider on a container on the porch. I knocked on the window for Will to come over to see my discovery. He's been very interested in spiders all year and we're all learning from his fascination since he brought home a library book about spiders
every week of 1st grade. Seriously. Who knew the library had that many books about spiders!?! Anyway, he quickly identified it (through the glass door) as a black widow. All black spiders are black widows, didn't you know? We're still working on his classification skills. I quickly raised my flip flop and smashed the furry guy to smithereens. **This next part is my moment. I didn't want you to lose it in the details.** Will burst into applause and started chanting "Go, Mom! Go, Mom!" I think I could've taken on any wild beast at that time. Well, maybe not, but it sure did make me smile.

My other moment happened with Kate tonight. Bedtime has become a small struggle with the precious girl lately. Not in a really bad way, just a stall at every turn kind of way. Apparently someone led her to believe that she is entitled to doing things her way. I know, I know, I'm working hard to correct it. So, I have to really gear myself up for the bedtime routine knowing that I will meet resistance at each stage. **Pause. Will taught us (at age 2) that there is a person known as the "bather" the "pajamer" the "brusher" and the "booker" - these are the stages of bedtime in the Schloss house. Unpause. ** Normally, we split these 4 stages fair and square. Tonight, it was all me. And the clincher, there was going to be a stage 5: "the nose sprayer and sucker". Kate has had a runny nose and sounded stuffy tonight, and I knew it had to be done if we all wanted a good night's sleep. So, I did what I had to do. After sputtering and coughing from the saline spray and nose sucker (I'm sure there is a better term, but you know what I'm talking about, don't you?), in her sweetest, stuffiest voice, Kate said, "Kank you, Mommy." And that, my friends is better than any trophy, blue ribbon, or new car.

Here's to tomorrow's mommy moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment