Thursday, October 28, 2010

So long Captain's bars













Some of you probably know and lots of you probably don't, that John joined the Air Force Reserves last October. It was a difficult (more like, painful!) decision to separate in March of 2007. He spent 2 1/2 years convincing me that the Reserves was a good idea ... I wanted both feet in or both feet out. I don't know how he did it (just wore me down, I reckon!), but we decided to go for it last summer. He now serves one weekend a month and a couple of weeks during the year. Since leaving active duty, John had missed wearing the uniform (crazy, huh?), he'd missed the camaraderie of the AF life, and probably most of all, he'd missed the smell of jet fuel in the morning! Well, now we think we have the best of both worlds ... he's back in uniform (which doesn't have to be dry cleaned), wearing boots (that don't have to be shined!), and smelling like jet fuel (ew!) one weekend a month and the rest of the time he's at home working hard at our church. We found out in April that John was selected to promote from Captain to Major and he pinned on his new rank on October 2nd. John's parents made the trip out for his ceremony. I'm so proud of my airman, and if I do say so myself, he sure is handsome in that uniform!

No comments:

Post a Comment