Thursday, September 23, 2010

All in a Day's Work


We (okay, I) volunteered to keep our friend's 3 kiddos while they were away celebrating their 10th anniversary. I heard myself saying to Jenn as I convinced her this was a good idea, "Oh, come on, it's just a couple of days ... how hard could it be?" I'm pretty sure that sometimes my thoughts don't match up to reality. BUT, it was for a great cause and so I jumped right on in. Really, we had a blast. The kids were great and loved (almost) every minute of it. Here are some observations I made over the 57 hour period (but who's counting!?!) of life with 5 kids:
  • I said "no" or "no, no" at least 5,000 times. This is just an estimate, but I'm sure I said it to each kid at least 1,000 times particularly in the hour before dinner. "No, you cannot have a snack. No, you cannot have candy. No, you cannot have cheese crackers. No, you cannot have a banana. NO!"
  • Two 6 year olds who have been at school ALL day are no more worn out than they were when they left that morning. Particularly when they return home to a 4 year old who has anxiously been waiting to play with them all day.
  • When your 6 year old has friends over, you do not try to feed them grilled chicken and sauteed vegetables. You should stick with the list your 6 year old gave you : pb&j, tacos, pizza, spaghetti, chicken fingers, and pancakes!
  • It's amazing how the two little girls (22mos. and 19 mos.) sounded like a group of 17 year old girls when we put them to bed the first night. They couldn't believe (and I really couldn't either!) that we put them in the same room ... the squealing and laughing lasted for over an hour, but they did sleep!
  • There is no good place to pause Mario Galaxy 2 ... every time I needed the big kids to help with something and they were playing the wii, it was "Hold on, we're almost to the next star ... level ... bowser ... piranha plant." ***Side note, I tried to observe this game and I have no idea how they even know what direction they are headed in next.
  • It is definitely a good idea to have the Daddy take all 5 kids outside to play after dinner. Even if they get soaked in the water table, muddy from digging in the dirt, and stinky from all that running around, bath time is coming (brace yourself!) and the kitchen gets cleaned in peace.
  • You're pretty much always feeding someone or cleaning up from feeding someone. The pancakes that John made the week before and froze were a HUGE lifesaver. And everyone's lunch should be made the night before ... it's not a good idea to wait until the two little girls are crying at your feet to get out the jar of pb. Just sayin'.
  • Call me crazy, but trying to do two different hw assignments with 2 1st graders is ALMOST impossible. Did you know they can hardly read a thing? :o) Actually, they are both very good students!!! It might have been the 2 little girls waiting (patiently, yes that's it!) for their snack or the 4 year old who had been waiting ALL day to play Mario Galaxy 2 (yes, I learned that the 2 is important in Mario Galaxy 2). Oh, and I'm pretty sure that none of them knew their Awana verse for this week. With 3 different ones to learn, they were all saying each other's but nobody could remember the right one! Aaaaahhhh!!!
  • Bath/shower time was actually pretty good. The little girls loved it. Just so you know, it takes a 6 year old girl a whole lot longer to take a shower, put on pj's, brush teeth, and brush hair than a 6 year old boy. Some things never change!
  • Thank you, John, for letting me get the minivan with the DVD player in it. We usually only watch movies on long trips. But it was a huge lifesaver with our hour long wait in two different carpools each day. I'm pretty sure I have memorized every line to "Curious George plays in the Snow." But I have slept since then, so please don't quiz me!
  • Sleep! The first night I could not sleep. I was worried that one of the baby girls would wake up and then wake up the other baby and then they'd wake up the big kids and how in the world would I ever get them all back to sleep. The second night, John says I was snoring by 8:30 (yes, I had them all in bed by 8:30!!! Jenn, please don't ask what time we went to bed the first night!!!!)
I really enjoyed having a house full of kids (for a few days :o). They are great friends and I loved watching them have fun together. So, to all you moms out there of 3 or more ... I was already impressed, but NOW, you have achieved Yoshi status in my mind. (Okay, I don't really know what or who yoshi is, but it's something that is really cool on Mario Galaxy 2!)

1 comment:

  1. You go Ans! I love reading your posts...such a great writer! Love you and miss you :)

    ReplyDelete