Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Fancier than Spaghetti


I am not a fancy cook.  Really.  When John called yesterday to say he was on his way home, the conversation quickly turned to what was really on his mind ... "What's for dinner?"  Chicken Carbonara, I replied, which was followed by silence.  "No, really, what's for dinner?"  Chicken Carbonara.  "What is that?"  I told you I'm not fancy.  My itallian repertoire can be summed up in two (count 'em, 1 ... 2) dishes - spaghetti and frozen pizza.  I've been determined to try out some new recipes and somehow, my attempts have not been terrible but actually edible!    So this week I adapted (oh, yes I did!) this recipe to suit my family - mainly, I don't eat shrimp, so I changed it to chicken.  This recipe is so easy ... almost as easy as opening a jar of spaghetti sauce.  It was a big hit with John, only now I think he'll be disappointed the next time he asks "What's for dinner?" and I say spaghetti.  Let me know if you try it!!


Chicken Carbonara
 
Ingredients:

½ lb spaghetti, uncooked
4 slices bacon, chopped
2 uncooked chicken breasts, cubed
1 cup frozen peas
1 tub (10 oz) Philadelphia Italian Cheese and Herb Cooking Creme

 
Cook spaghetti in large saucepan as directed on package, omitting salt. Meanwhile, cook bacon in large skillet until crisp. Remove bacon from skillet with slotted spoon, reserving 1 Tbsp. drippings in skillet. Drain bacon on paper towels.
 
Add chicken to reserved drippings; cook and stir on medium heat @ 7-10 min. until done.  Stir in peas & bacon crumbles; cook 1 min. Add cooking creme; cook and stir 3 min. or until heated through.
 
Top cooked spaghetti noodles with chicken mixture, enjoy!






 


No comments:

Post a Comment