Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Unexpected Christmas


This Christmas was not what I expected it to be. Our sweet Kate got a stomach bug the day we left to FLY to Virginia. Unfortunately, all four of us got "the bug" and passed it on to our family in Virginia and Georgia - no fun. There were no big Christmas dinners, the time for opening presents was frequently interrupted, and extended family decided that they would wait to see us another time (who could blame them?). As I was wrapped up under piles of blankets trying desperately to stay warm, I wondered, why did all of this have to happen. Then I was gently reminded that a change of attitude would serve me well. Will came over to sit with me and said, "Mom, this is my best Christmas EVER!!!" I couldn't help but think of Mary and all of the unexpected things that happened in her life leading up to that first Christmas. Many of them most likely came with negative consequences, frustrating circumstances, and many a chance to complain but Mary's response was simply, "I am the Lord's servant, may it be to me as you have said." Luke 1:38 I bet it was her best Christmas EVER!!

No comments:

Post a Comment