Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Ain't no other like MY brother


Brothers are best ... well mine is! I've loved that boy from the second he was born (sidenote: I wanted a sister until the second he was born, but I quickly changed my mind!). He was my baby as far as I was concerned. Since I was the mature age of 5 1/2 when he arrived, I already knew everything I needed to know about taking care of a baby. He winked at me and I was sure he must be the smartest baby that ever lived. I remember it like it was yesterday. He was only a few weeks old and he was laying on his back in his play pen. I would hang on the side of that play pen just watching his every move and then it happened ... he winked at me and I knew we'd be best buds for all time. When he was the ripe old age of 2, we (he and I) began his education. Our classroom (my bedroom) was the perfect environment for me to teach him everything I knew and I did. I corrected his work with my mom's very best red pen (she was a teacher so she had plenty to spare!) and then I sent him back to his room with homework. He loved it and I take all the credit for his SAT scores and full scholarship to college. :o) As he grew older, he taught me how to shoot a basketball, fight with a sword (foam swords, of course), and how to set the perfect pirate traps (we lived in a very dangerous neighborhood!). He came to all of my choir concerts and school programs and he loved it, or at least pretended to. When I left for college, I wondered how things would change. We talked on the phone pretty regularly and he even wrote me several letters! I would drive home for his football games, and I'm sure I was his biggest fan. Years have past now but I love how some things stay the same. He called yesterday - yep, he called me, usually does, I should work on that! I love seeing his number on caller ID. It means that we're gonna catch up. We usually talk for 45 minutes to an hour. Not only does he love to talk, but he's a great listener. He's very smart but he also REALLY cares. I love that boy! (Oh, and for the record, he picked an awesome wife ... or maybe she picked him ... either way, my sister-in-law, you know that sister I was hoping for, she rocks!)

No comments:

Post a Comment