Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Chocolate Ganache Cake






There are a few blogs I follow that regularly post about recipes. My two favorites are How Sweet it Is... (I actually know the sweet girl who this blog belongs to) and Keeping up with the Joneses (I don't know this girl at all, but she seems sweet in her blog!) I love the way they post step by step pictures AND instructions of the recipes they share. Today was the last day of our Bible Study session and we had a potluck (I heart potlucks!). The perfect opportunity to try a new recipe. I chose one from the stack of recipes I've been printing from these blogs because it had a short list of ingredients and honestly, it looked like there weren't too many opportunities for me to mess it up! It was very easy to make and got rave reviews at the potluck. Unfortunately, I do not know how to insert pictures into my post except to put them at the very top. I have so much to learn, but for today this will have to do. :o) Here's the recipe, let me know if you decide to try it! Oh and beware of taste-testers (pic #5)

Chocolate Ganache Cake
Ingredients:
1 box Betty Crocker SuperMoist chocolate fudge cake mix
water, vegetable oil, and eggs called for on cake box
1 container Rich & Creamy chocolate frosting
1/3 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 bars Heath bar, roughly chopped

Instructions:
Bake and cool cake according to directions on box (make 2 layers in 8 or 9 inch pans)
Place one layer, rounded side down on serving platter. Spread with about 1/3 cup frosting. Toy with second layer, rounded side up. Frost top and side of cake with remaining frosting. In 1 qt saucepan, heat whipping cream over medium-high heat until hot (do not boil). Remove from heat and stir in chocolate chips until melted and smooth. Let this cool until it thickens. You'll know this is ready when it mounds slightly when dropped from a spoon (and isn't runny). Pour over top of cake and let it run down sides. Top with chopped Heath Bar. Refrigerate about 1 hour until chocolate is set before serving. Store covered in refrigerator.

Total time: 3 hours (includes cooling and refrigerating)
Serves: 12-16, depending on slice size

1 comment: