Friday, June 8, 2012

Baseball Season

Without even realizing it, we've slipped into that phase of life where we are no longer concerned with spring, summer, winter, or fall.  No, it's baseball season (or football...or basketball...).  Our long summer nights have turned into endless games of catch and batting practice.  Will has made big improvements in catching pop fly's and making solid throws to 1st base.  The boys seem to really be learning the game.  And Kate, well, Kate loves the ballpark too.  She's learning to eat sunflower seeds and loves climbing up and down (and up and down and up and down and, well you get the picture) the bleachers.  John loves helping out at practices and managing the dugout during the games ... and you already knew that I was the unofficial team photographer!

Taking the pre-game pledge



Oh, so close!  
Little League is especially tough on mamas (really, any activity that involves your kids is, I think).  Just after Will got this strike, the other team's coach yells out "Come on boys, this is going to be an easy out."  Wait. WHAT!?!?  Before I could think of something to yell back ("That's MY son!" was all that was coming to mind and that didn't seem quite witty enough), I heard the crack of the bat and saw this:
And that, ladies and gentlemen, would be a double.  I really had to keep myself from yelling "How's that for an easy out?", but I knew that if I did that, John might invite me to sit in the car for the rest of the game.  I'm just kidding, of course, but kids sports really do seem to be quite the lesson in self control!  The next time Will got up to bat, he hit it clear to the fence.  I think we were all a little shocked, as was evidenced by the look on Will's face which you could have seen if I had had enough composure to take a picture instead of screaming like he'd just won the World Series.  I may or may not have also failed in getting the proof of my brother catching an interception in a high school football game because I was too busy cheering.  What can I say?  I definitely need to train Kate to be my second shooter ... but she was a little busy:



LOVE her!  
Thankfully, the boys played hard in their first double header of the season ...


The coaches are the best ...

Coach Dad and Coach Billy are all business! 
and I got to watch my favorite fella cross home plate a few more times...




1 comment:

  1. I love this! we also live by sports seasons and Ruthie is quickly following in her brother's footsteps. She played ball for the first time this year and loved it! B is on the Lauren's Little League All Stars team. He's the shortest on the team and is often underestimated. This mom loves to yell for her "little man!" it is hard to keep your composure when it's your child, but I yell extra loud when he slides into home plate (he never runs across home....always slides!) and then I yell when we get home....how am I supposed to get these pants clean?!?! Enjoy every minute of it!!!

    ReplyDelete